Monday, January 1, 2018

Hive 2 January Tutorial


Hello Hive 2,

I bet you were wondering if I had forgotten. Nope, just running late.  Hope you have had some time off and getting to spend some of it with family and friends and maybe if lucky getting some sewing done.  This is my 3rd year as a Hive Mom and am looking forward to all that we will be making and seeing what someone has picked for each new month.  I am interested in seeing your post on IG, which is new this year.  I live in Tennessee and I am a RN who works in a Cath Lab and I also own a brick and mortar quilting shop, The Dancing Bobbin (also on IG).  I do the long arm for the shop which keeps me busy which means I never have enough time to sew for me and always have many projects in different phases. Always thrilled when I get one completed.  My least favorite part of quilting is binding and usually I must admit get someone else to do it.

Well the good news is I have picked an easy block that shouldn't take you long to sew up.  I have been wanting to do a pink and navy quilt for a while and have been collecting a lot of fat quarters for this.  Therefore, I thought this would be a good way to get going, then I had to find a block.  A couple weeks ago Jedi Craft Girl released her Sparkle Quilt (http://www.jedicraftgirl.com/2017/12/sparkle-quilt-free-quilt-pattern.html) and I decided that was perfect.  Easy block that will show off the pink and navy and I always love a quilt with a secondary pattern when put together. She also posted her finished quilt on her Instagram that you can go view. (if you don't follow her give her a look, Mufasa is worth it alone),

So let's get started and this is what the block will look like:




I would like 4 different Pinks and here are some of the ones I have already cut:


I would like 4 different Navy (color didn't really photograph well but color should be truer towards navy) and here are some I have pulled:


I would like the Grey to be light to medium and read grey not with much other colors, here are some I pulled:


Finally here are some of the low volume (preferably more whites that creams) I picked:



You will need 4x 5" pink squares and 4x 5" navy squares and 1x 5" grey square and 8x 2.5" low volume squares.


Draw diagonal lines across the low volume squares and place on 2 corners of the blues across from each other.  I usually sew next to the line as opposed to on the line. I find it gives me a truer size square when you snow ball it. Then trim 1/4" and iron open. Now ready to make the block.  I told you this was easy.




Lay out block making sure your navy corners are pointing in towards grey to form X. I pressed the rows towards the pink squares and that allowed it to nest making it easy to sew rows together. Then I pressed rows towards the center row.  Your block should finish at 13.5 ". Here are 2 more I blocks I have made.  Let me know if you have any questions. Can't wait to see what you make!


Cyndi

5 comments:

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Cyndi, I am so glad to see this post. I'm trying to get my bee blocks all done today and tomorrow, to make way for some QAL's that are also starting today. Love navy and pink. Got to go and pick out some fabrics.

GRANNYcanQUILT said...

I love this block. I made a quilt last year using several sizes of it. It was much more crazy coloured than yours.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Cyndi, this was a great block. Went together easily. My only issue was not having any navy in my stash. Had to made a quick trip to the LQS, navy was in short supply there too. But we are all done and it is in the mail tomorrow.

Cyndi said...

Well Jan that was quick and sorry the navy was in short supply. I appreciate the block and cant wait to see them. Good luck with the QAL.

Kerry P said...

Thanks for the tip about sewing the corner squares on the navy squares! Pretty color combo!!