Friday, September 1, 2017

Hive 2 Block for September -Let's make tracks!!

Happy Fall Y'all! Hi, I'm Jacqueline also known as @bignuttyquilter. It sure is starting to feel like Autumn here in Wisconsin and I'm even seeing some trees starting to change color already.

This is my 3rd year in Stash Bee and I just love it!! I love making blocks for others and trying blocks I never thought to do myself and finding myself falling in love with them.

I have to admit I fell in love with Tracey's blocks from hive 3 that were done in January and knew in an instant this was the quilt I wanted to make as well, but with a few different colors. So I am asking you lovely ladies to make some bear paws!!

 Here on the farm, we see all kinds of tracks: bears, deer, coyotes and mountian lions as well as the little ones like raccoons, bunnies and skunks to name a few as well as the wild Tom cat!

              So I went and worked the dimensions for this quilt and made up my sample!


I am asking you ladies to make 4 quadrants to this block and when they come home I will mix up all the paws before I put the individual blocks together so I can have an awesomely scrappy looking quilt. Here are some other blocks that I made as well.



I did a fabric pull and these are the colors I am looking for:

For the background, please use a low volume fabric (preferably with a pattern on it, it can also be a solid or a white on white. (sorry cloudy day today)


 below are the colors for the bear paw quadrants, but I have 4 color ways I'm looking for, you can choose which two work best for you. I am requesting: 



                                    brown, on the warm side.              Blues, medium to dark,


                                                     Yellow, warm, rich, deep yellows, cheddar yellow...


                                    And Deep pinks, bubble gum pinks, think of raspberries.

Please make sure there isn't a lot of white in the fabrics you select. I want it to be rich in colors with good contrast. Novelty prints, florals, and whimsy are more then welcome. have fun with this. I just ask for NO BATIKS please.

I am going to have you make 4 quadrants in the same fabrics just like I did, but ask you NOT to sew them together. (If you prefer you can also make them scrappy, I just figured the same fabrics would save time.)

 The following cutting directions will make the 4 bear paw quadrants. 

From the main center fabric cut: - cut (4) 5 1/2 inch square blocks
From the paw fabric cut: (8) 3 1/2 inch square blocks
From the background (light) fabric cut:  (8) 3 1/2 inch square blocks and (4) 3 inch square blocks. 



Take the light background set of 3 1/2 inch blocks and draw a diagonal line on the back of each.


.Take a light background 3.5 inch square and the darker paw colored 3.5 inch square, place right sides together  and sew a scant 1/4 of an inch on each side of the center diagonal line you drew.

Here are the blocks sewn on each side of the diagonal line.  


Cut on the drawn lines and press to the darker side.  You should have 16 HSTs. 



Square up your half square triangles,  Trim to 3 inches square.


Lay out the blocks and begin to sew them together. The background corner square should be pressed towards the square and the large center square should be pressed toward the large square and then they will nest nicely together for sewing to decrease bulk. When sewing half square triangles press toward the dark fabric.When your done sewing these together,  Tada!! You're done! 

 Each bear paw quadrant should measure 8 inches square when done. I will also be glad to square them up.  

When you are done you will have 4 bear paw quadrants. Again, send them as they are and I will mix them up and place the sashing to finish it. 


If you have any questions, please ask!   I want to Thank you so much!! I can't wait to see your creations!! 
Hugs, 
Jacqueline

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this! I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Jacque T said...

Thanks Tracy! You are my inspiration! Hugs! Jacque