Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hive 5 Tutorial for August

Hello Everyone
        I am super excited that it is my month to be Queen.  I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, just 15 mins outside of Seattle.  I am single and just moved into a great house I am renting with two of my best friends.  I am very blessed to be able to work around great fabric everyday at the best quilt shop in the world, Circa 15 Fabric Studio.  (We ship, so check out our website-it's great!)  Eenough about me, oh, but the two truths and lie,
      1.  I was a nanny in Beverly Hills for a short time, for a interior designer.  She wasn't famous but I saw Brad Whitford at a coffee shop once. 
      2.  In college I wrote, directed, and produced an one-act play.  I was a theatre major. 

And the lie is I have never lived in New York City, in fact I have never even been to NYC. 

Now on the Block.  I have chosen a Wonky Star Block

My colors are low volume for the background: whites, creams, greys with little prints or color

Then Reds, Purples or Oranges for the star.


Background:  8 - 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 Squares ( the more scrappy the better)
Color:            1 - 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 Square
                      8 - 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 Rectangles    For the Star points (more scrappy the better)



To make a wonky star point, take the color rectangle and place it on a background square at an angle.  Make sure that the fabric will cover the corner on the square by pinning your angle and folding over the fabric.

Continue with the rest of the color star points, changing the angle each time.  Remember the goal is wonky. 
 
 I like to trim using the background square as my guide.  I trim the excess color off first, then I trim the 1/4" seam allowance. 
 But be careful that you are trimming the correct pieces off so you don't do what I did:
It should look more like this:
Then sew like you would any nine patch. 



I like to press my seams open but I am okay with you doing whatever you are most comfortable with.  Now you should have a wonky star:

Thanks so much.  Feel free to email me if you have any questions.  Have a great month!  I look forward to your blocks. 

 


Kristi Russell







No comments: