Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hive 3 August Block Tutorial

Hive 3 Block for August 

Hi my name is Michelle and I live in Australia. At the moment we are in the middle of winter, but it is a really mild one so not really too cold.
I live in a small rural town called Kingaroy, which happens to be the navy bean and peanut capital of Australia, dont get much more rural than that. I am a vet, but recently had a job change and started working as a creative arts coordinator at a aged care facility. Huge job change, but was a just a short break. We are currently in the process of purchasing a winery and cellar door, with a cafe attached. I can see that sewing will take big step backwards when we settle and I start running the business.
I share my sewing space, with three kids and one husband, two dogs and a stubborn cat.

Ok now for the block
I had planned to have some fancy block, but after last month I had a few blue and orange two inch strips left so though I would use them to make a bentobox block. Please could you make at least two of these blocks, but feel free to make as many as you want, they come together really fast.
It is similar to a logcabin. I changed the tradtional larger centre size to the same size as the strips - so I guess it is actually just a logcabin block
The plan is to cut these blocks into four and mix and match them to create a new block.






You will need 2 inch strips in blues and oranges ( ideally left over from last month)

 Start with a 2x2 square in either blue or orange . The next round would be the alternate colour and the next round the first colour and the last row the alternate colour.








I have included the two colourways.

It is pretty straight forward, and even if they are abit wonky it adds to the effect.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like fun.

LisaStorm323 said...

These look like a lot of fun! Do you want them to go around log cabin style or courthouse steps style, or does it matter?

Cheshire's Designs said...

Michelle, this looks like a fun and creative way to use up some of my blues and oranges.

Once you get the Winery open you'll need to post pictures so we can all celebrate with you. I hope to come to Australia one day and I'll definitely look you up.

Michelle said...

Lisa - sure either works - getting chopped anyway
M

Meredith said...

Michelle, this looks fantastic! And I might have one or two blue and orange strips hanging around...lol!