Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Hive 7 March tutorial


Yellowstone National Park is my happy place. I worked there for a summer when I was in college, and it was an amazing 3 months of fast friendships and great adventures. Yellowstone holds a very special place in my heart. I took this photo, of Morning Glory pool, when my family was there in 2012. I would like to use this color pallet in a quilt for my baby boy.

Please use shades of grey, burnt orange, golden yellow, lime-y greens, teal and blue.


We're going to keep this simple, and use random half Square triangles, like Amanda did back in July of last year

This will be a slightly larger block, finishing at 16-inches in a 4x4 grid. Individual HSTs will finish at 4-inches. Please don't overthink this. Just sew and have fun with it.

1. Choose 16, 5-inch squares in the range of colors above. I would like for 4-8 of the squares to be in the gray range.

2. Grab 2 squares at random. Make half square triangles. Trim to 4.5 inches. I assume that you know how to make a HST unit, but just in case you don't, here's a quick illustration from Modern Quilting by B.

     2a. Place 2 squares right sides together
     2b. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner
     2c. Sew 1/4 inch away from the line on each side
     2d. Cut squares on the drawn line
     2e. Press open
     2f. Trim to 4.5 inches
3. Now you have 16 random HST units. Grab a couple at random and sew them together. Repeat until you have a block that is 4x4 units and 16.5 inches, unfinished.

Easy, peasy!

No comments: