Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Hive 6 March Tutorial

Hello everyone,
I'm Lori, from Prince Edward Island, Canada. This is my first year in the Stash Bee and I am loving it so far. I have a special reason for picking this block. My dad has Alzheimer's, and will soon be moving to a long term care facility, and I want him to have a special quilt to take with him. Because of his memory loss, I thought an I-Spy type of quilt would be suitable.


My Dad

Square in a Square/Economy Block Tutorial

The original tutorial can be found HERE

For one block, you will need :

One 5" square of novelty fabric, sports-related, animals, foods, anything a man might like. Extra brownie points if it has to do with fishing!
Two 4.75" squares, cut in half on the diagonal
Two 6" squares, cut in half on the diagonal
For the triangles, I'll leave it up to you what fabric you want to use, just try to coordinate it with your novelty square.


Here is an idea of some the novelty fabrics I have picked out so far:
Center 2 of the smaller triangles on each side of the center square. It helps if you finger press the square in half and in half again as a reference point to center your triangle tip. Another hint to help with the bias edges is to sew with the triangles on the bottom, closest to the feed dogs. Sew each side with a 1/4" seam and press towards the triangles.
Repeat with the other 2 triangles, adding them to the top and bottom of the square. Trim the triangles to 1/4" seam allowance.
 Repeat the process with the remaining triangles, remembering to sew with the triangles underneath.
 Trim to 1/4" seam allowance. And you're done! Your block should measure 9 1/2".

Here are a few of my finished blocks:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Have fun!

No comments: