Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July Hive 9 Block for Kelly from Yvonne

Hi Kelly! I tried really hard to give you the Cotton & Steel (check) and Tula Pink (sadly lacking in my stash) that you said you liked. I also noticed a good amount of Alison Glass in your inspiration photos, so I rounded out the bright feather colors with her Mercury print and a bit of Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets. Once I had all the fabrics pulled, I decided to go with a rainbow order for each side of the feather.

C+S Basics and a "Splash" of Tula Pink

Alison Glass Mercury and Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets

One thing that I always forget when making the feather bed block is that flipping the feather over requires a different angle than when it is right side up. So after cutting the first side and then cutting a second side where the "feathers" did not go in the right direction, I pulled out my seam ripper and just barely eeked out the left hand side for 2 blocks for you!

July Blocks for Kelly


The background of this feather is a Crosshatch Sketch in Ivory from Timeless Treasures and is hard to see, but it is a warm neutral and will have more depth when layered with batting.


And the background fabric for the second block is from Amanda Herring's new line for Riley Blake called Desert Bloom and has fun botanical information. I tried to fussy cut the leaves on the left in particular to pair with the feather. 


2 comments:

Kelly H. said...

So pretty! Sorry if my instructions weren't clear about the flipping of the sides. These look awesome though!

Cyndi said...

Yvonne your fabric pull was beautiful. Love Alison Glass and C&S. The feathers came out fabulous.