Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Starflower tree

I started by making a trunk with some batik scraps I'd used for treetrunks before, then added slender branches. Then it was a matter of how to add leaves; leaf-shapes wasn't quite going to work on these branches with multicoloured scraps, but flowers? Aha. Lots and lots and lots of fusing, a whole set of freehand stars (ow scissors: some of the stars are less than half an inch across) and some variegated embroidery thread later...
If you look up close, it is a rather fantastical tree!

7 comments:

supersara20 said...

This is absolutely incredible. I love it. Such a great job.

Danny Heyen said...

Good call with the flowers. It looks nice!

Cindy said...

I love it! Great job!

kinter said...

Whoa! Did you hand stitch those. That is such a cool tree!

Taisia @ Piecing Light said...

Yes, the flowers are (securely!) hand stitched and the trunk is machine stitched.

Habibti at Home said...

Lucky number sixty! Talk about fantastic! This is phenomenal! Beautiful and well done!

Sarah said...

I want one of those growing in my garden! that is one fab tree!